Tuesday 23 November 2010

Bolivian Marching Munky

Phew...another busy week marching around Bolivia seeing and doing all manner of wonderful things!
Before leaving Sucre I went quad biking up in the mountains which was lots of fun although a bit hairy at times as we were allowed on public roads and there were points on the mountain tracks that were a bit eeek, I have to say the adrenaline munky in me enjoyed it a lot though!
After leaving Sucre I travelled to Potosi, which was just a short bus trip away. After lunch ( I had Lllama which felt a bit naughty!) we visited some Silver Mines and went underground to see the miners at work, looks like a very tough life, lucky I am too small to become a miner. We had bought some dynamite for the miners as a gift (crazy country this is!) but kept a bit back which the guide exploded for us, honestly didn't think it would make such a loud bang, my ears were ringing for hours!

The next day I headed to Uyuni and stayed there overnight before travelling out to the salt flats, what an amzing experience that was! Just miles and miles of white...plus the piercing blue skies, amazing. There is an island in the middle, with lots of cacti, which was weird but added further contrast. Had some fun with the camera in the middle of all the salt as you can make things look really big and small depending on how you place them, very clever it is!


That night I stayed in a hostel made completely of salt, even the tables, chairs and beds! Strangely cosy! The nexyt day we went across the desert and saw flamingoes, llamas, picunas plus volcanoes, geysers and i even had a dip in a thermal pool which was lovely as it was very windy and cold in the desert. Stayed at another hostel that night, not so cosy especially when it got down to -5c in the night, bbbbrrrrrrr!

Not much to report the next day, more driving through the desert, back to Uyuni to get a night bus back to La Paz which is where I am now - I shall stay away from the Witches Market this time though!


Next stop Peru!

No comments:

Post a Comment